Mary's Room 01

Sunday, March 26, 2017


 Mood: Somber  
Colours: Plum, Burgundy, Yellow Orange, Navy Blue, Mustard
Styled by: Safia Sheikh

Initially when I planned this post, I intended to write some form of poetry or prose inspired by the theme of the post. Then, I realized that perhaps it would appear too pretentious. Therefore, here is yet another segment of Safia's (Filtered) Musing.



If you've read my previous post, you might know that this post was inspired by the Mary's Room thought experiment. What I didn't mention in the post is that there's an additional video that kind of got me thinking (it's more science-y). It's a video made by youtuber VSauce, and here's a link to watch it, for all my nerds.


Now before I get into the clothes, I must thank my very complying model/guinea pig Nyamat (you can follow her on Instagram @nyamatphoolka) for essentially allowing me to experiment on her and being very patient throughout the entire process. I literally could not have done this without her. 

Now. The Clothes.

It's winter here, but I'm an all-year-round-skirts kind of person, so I chose to go for an A-line skirt with tights underneath. Since it was cold, I opted for a cropped mock-neck patterned sweater in the same base colour as the skirt, while the patterns on the top helped to balance out an otherwise mundane outfit.


For Nyamat, I went for a lighter, fall-themed look. She too, wore an A-line skirt, but her tights were sheer, and consisted of elaborate patterning. She wore a simple, black Guess top with matching, knee-high boots to help add symmetry to the outfit. To ensure the look wasn't washed out with a drab colour scheme, I added a bright, printed scarf to the outfit, to bring in a pop of colour. 

Of course, these are very conventional shades for the colder seasons. Deep, darker colours tend to be worn in winter, but that does not mean that those are the only colour options for the coldest season. In my next post (Mary's Room 02), I'll cover universality in pieces and colour schemes through the seasons, so be sure to look out for it!


This was kind of a shorter post than usual from me, and for that, I apologize. My next post will definitely be longer and (hopefully) have more depth. For now, I must return to studying calculus. Thanks for reading, and be sure to subscribe to my reader's list for my next post!

(s.n.s)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Share your thoughts! Discussion is highly encouraged. :)

(Remember: Everything you comment here will be seen by the blog author and public, so be careful what you type! As such, any comments deemed inappropriate/hateful will not be published to keep this blog a happy and comfortable environment for everyone.)

Popular Posts

Popular Posts This Month:

Featured Post This Week: